So when you need a really healthy alternative to sugar and naughty
chocolate, you will LOVE my quick and easy, and extremely nutritious
cubes of pleasure. Bursting with health-promoting ingredients, with no
baking required, these will be a handy little pick-me-up for those days when
you just ‘need a little something! This recipe is quite big, and very versatile,
and gives me and my boys, and my hubby fabulous little treats to grab out
of the freezer on the way out the door. You can store these in the pantry on
the shelf, but I keep them in the freezer in my silicone ice cube trays so that
they are there for weeks or months (perfect if you have a smaller family
than mine!) Feel free to follow my versatile options and make these YOUR
own favourite treat.
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 1 cup chopped wholenuts, choose from almond,macadamia, Brazil or hazel,any of these will do. I pop mine in the food processor to blitz them into a nut gravel so they toast faster.
- 1 cup shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1 cup dates, chopped or blended in processor ( or use 1/4 cup powdered sweetener if you prefer)
- 1 cup chia seeds, black or white
- 1 cup peanut butter, I used crunchy organic
- ½ cup cocoa nibs
- ½ cup 70-90% dark chocolate, chopped or blended in processor
- 5ml vanilla extract
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup protein/whey powder, I used vanilla Musashi because I like the flavour. (You could use almond meal instead)
Place the chopped/blended nut gravel and coconut into a frying pan, heat and
stir to toast until nice and brown and deliciously fragrant, takes about 2-3
minutes on a high heat. Don’t burn!
Place this and the remaining ingredients into your stand mixer bowl with the
whisk and mix for about a minute until it forms a sticky wet crumb.
I use my silicone square ice cube trays and use a spoon over the bowl to fill and
then pack (using the back of the spoon) the ice cube trays. I got 36 cubes out of
my batch, this will depend on the size of your trays.
Place the trays on a flat surface and then pack tight with the palm of your hand,
the chia and water and protein powder will start to set and keep these gorgeous
Pop in fridge or freezer, covered, and then enjoy every-time you need a treat!